I’m Andy Matthews, a student at Whitehall High School. I am currently working on my eagle project that consists of building and installing five little free libraries. These little free libraries are going to be located at Melby Park, the Gazebo on Main Street, the Brookside Apartments, the Trempealeau County Health Care Center and a place yet to be determined in Pigeon Falls.

For those who don’t know, a little free library is a place where anyone can “Take a Book – Return a Book.” The concept is simple: A little free library is a box of books, posted in an accessible spot, often in a residential area, near a sidewalk. Everyone who passes by is welcome to stop and browse the books that fill the miniature library. See something you like? Take it with you. Have a book to share? Add it to the mix. The inventory constantly changes and they offer something for every reader- from gardening guides to folklore to picture books. For more information, visit littlefreelibrary.org

In order for the libraries to offer books, a book drive is needed. There will be a book drop off located in the main entrance of Whitehall Memorial Schools. So, send your children to school with any new or used books that you have laying around the house.

There will also be drop off locations at the Whitehall Public Library, the Trempealeau County Health Care Center, and my house: 36112 Sunset Blvd, Whitehall WI. If you have any questions, call me! 715-538-2549

Andy Matthews